Lazy Days.

Struggling as I do these days … with my health, I can still sit on my backside and enjoy the hobbies I have. Today I was trying out some new camera techniques. Before I did however I had to take one as it was happening at our place today 🙂 You can clearly see the one doing all the work.

Lazy Afternoon

Mountain Maple After Leaf Removal.

I mentioned in an earlier blog entry that two of my Maples had the most awful leaf burn this year. After much thought and input too from others I have settled on a combination of three areas. I mention this as someone might find it useful if they are either considering leaf pruning or outright removal for a myriad of reasons.

This is the first year I have had each and every single leaf display mild singing to out and out burnt shrivelled leaves. I’ll not include images of the leaves as they are HERE on the earlier post I mentioned above. A detailed explanation of possible causation is to be found in this previous blog entry. HERE.

I know much is bantered around about what an amazing technique it is to grow a second set of leaves, or even a third on a very healthy tree, but truly folks it is little more than what nature could do all on its own. So, without any further babble I include a before image of the small Maple, and one taken yesterday after the new set of leaves turned it into a bush like plant; clearly I attacked it with a pair of scissors though. It will do for now; further trimming will be required over the next few weeks. The first image is after initial leaf hardening but at the burn stage. Eventually it looked awful. In this image I had already taken away 30-40% of the leaves as they had turned completely brown.


Then after leaf removal, with some branch pruning too. SEAL cuts to avoid bleed this time of year and minimise this type of branch pruning.

Mountain Maple strip

In this image it is three weeks after the original removal of leaves. You actually have a job looking at the tree to see any branches at all. This one I have taken looking down at the crown.

New leaves

After a couple of hours of detailed tidying the tree is now without any browning whatsoever. Seen here in a Tony Remington pot. Thanks for looking in.

A quick snap half way through. A typically I forgot to take a front on image.

Prior to tidy

Maple on FB reduced size

Disease on Maples!

I’d noticed two out of three of my Maple trees had been showing some browning to leaf edges. With the ridiculous winds we have endured over since ‘Spring’ arrived I wasn’t really surprised.

I’m normall careful of placement preferring to keep them both in the Gazebo (doors open) which does not take the wind or direct full on sunshine. This year however I found an alternative spot and had been quite happy until …

Over a period of three to five weeks I noticed that almost all the leaves on each tree had started to die off or indeed sit there and just start to go brown from the outer edges inwards; leading me to at first conclude a simple case of windburn. Both by this time were looking pretty darned unsightly so I started to look within the foliage to see if I could spot scale, aphids, or any fungal type disease. I’m hoping it is most certainly not Verticillium albo-atrum or V. dahliae. 

I found absolutely nothing other than a confirmed suspicion that every single leaf on both Maples was the same. Picture below. This was at point of removal. The following images are of both tree leaves, the smaller pertaining to the wee Mountain Maple and the others from ‘Stumpy’ a tree that I have mentioned before and one which I dug up from the garden a few years back. Both re-potted this year.

burnt maple leaf

The following images are taken from both trees leaves and brought inside against a light background to see clearer what I might be dealing with. In direct contrast this image is the other tree. The image above is from Stumpy.

leaf four

Here is a combination of both.

Leaf one

And some further images.

leaf two

leaf five

Now this is over both trees and on every single leaf. I’ve checked and checked and cannot see anything. I have sprayed for any fungal spores but with any potential pathogen it is and can be rather hit and miss and indeed actually more miss than anything.

Being I really do need to know my gut says I have overfed both trees with some windburn thrown in for good measure. I don’t do chemical only organic so really I believe this is actually unlikely. A friend has suggested if I cannot establish cause then send them off to Kew for further analysis; this is actually a very good idea and one I am going to do.

For now then I wait. Both trees are still well alive and I note already producing new leaves from the complete strip the other day. Only time will tell.

Both trees as of fifteen minutes ago.

Mountain Maple strip Stumpy strip